Thursday, March 17, 2011

Feels like this album never even came out...




Did ANYBODY buy or even know about this project? It came out last year around May. "Selective Hearing Part 2." This is an album I did with LMNO (longbeach Cali wuddup!)
Originally This project was supposed to be called "James/Brown". You see... LMNO's 1st name is JAMES. My last is BROWN. The whole "concept" was us rockin out over all James Brown samples. At 1st the label was down with the whole title("JAMES/BROWN) and everything. Then around when we were wrappin up the album the flake out occurred. I guess it was a sample clearance issue or whatever. So the title got "changed" to "Selective Hearing part 2". Now in my opinion this album is CLASSIC. Alot of work went into this collection of music. Shout out 2 DeeJay LD (technicali sound).
We recorded the whole album over his spot. He Mixed the whole album and did all the SCRATCHES!!!! He even let me use his mpc2500 when my 2000xl was actin up. (I used the 2500 for two beats on that project.(Thanks bro! This dudes whole family is good peoples...shout out to marvin!) Also thanks to LMNO and his family for letting me stay over and all the hospitality that every1 showed me. Shout out to LRG too for the clothing hook up! Shout out to Creative Recs for the footwear also!

This is a drastic difference from the 1st "Selective Hearing" where we just sent trax back n forth over email...I flew out 2 cali for these sessions and we actually worked on joints on the spot at the studio. I mean beats from scratch...rhymes from scratch...scratches from scratch. EVERYthing. It just really hurts as an "artist" to put all you have into a project for it to flop. Yeah. I said it. !!FLOP!! Never got an advance or any type of payment for this album after almost a year since it came out. Wich means nobody bought that joint(either bcuz they thought it was wack) or they just didnt know it was out due to poor marketing. We did probably over a month long tour for this album also...(west to mid west tour. I lost my mpc on the road and everything.)And rite after the states straight to Europe for another few weeks. Man... that was a long tour for me.

This album is pretty special to me but i guess from the response that nobody's really feelin this joint or they just dont know about it. (even tho this project got sum of the best reviews I have seen) Then on top of that even if you do hear the album alot of people dont get the "concept" bcuz the title got changed. The label put out a limited vinyl single and a video. Apparently that was NOT enuff. I dont plan on doin ANYTHING EVER with that label again. Ive been let down too many times.





Been thinkin about posting sumthin about this project for a while...Feel like it never took off like I hoped it would.

23 comments:

Phil said...

Glad you spoke on this, man. I remember the reviews were quite good for this! Definitely coppin'.

Anonymous said...

I copped this when it came out. It's a dope album. To all the people who support this artform, you need to get this...otherwise punch yourself in the face!

Kev, keep putting out classic records.

Anonymous said...

You definitely get my respect brother ever since that beat you did from Bumpy Knuckles. Ever since Fatbeats closed in New York it is hard to find real forms of hip-hop expression. I will definitely cope your albums sir. Ever you ever need some artwork done for you or any of the members of the Low Budget Crew let me know.

Peace and Keep creating that Rawness
Afromation

DJ Klyph said...

What up Kev!? You know I rep this project every chance I can. Sorry tp hear about all the ugly back story. I'll be reppin' it even more now.

Blessings.

KEV BROWN said...

Thanks y'all.

Fresh! said...

Kev,

Seen your vids on YouTube over the last couple of months. Wasn't until last night that realized you're from the good MD too. Definitely coppin' this latest joint tonite. Stay inspirational to us, that should easy. I discovered Kaimbr on a YouTube clip by Digital Hustle Films last month...

Keep bangin' as the "Pete Rock of MD" Real classic hip-hop

pax,
Fresh!

twitter/mrfresh

Chris said...

It's too bad the label didn't push this harder. Don't labels understand that everybody loses when they sleep on ish like this. The artist don't make money, the label don't make money. and we miss great music. I got the album off itunes a couple weeks ago and it's been in heavy rotation ever since. Thanks for all your hard work Kev, keep that fire coming.

Finimo Kieribo said...

Bought this album(plus instrumentals) on cd when it came out and it's pretty much a constant(alongside other Kev Brown joints) on my ipod.
Tight beats and inspiring rhymes.
Keep up the the tight-raw music bro.
You're inspiring alot of us musically as "always"
Peace
Finimo

KEV BROWN said...

Peace. The 1st album cames with insros. The 2nd album didn't.

Anonymous said...

i like the beats and Kevs lyrical contribution. Not really feeling the LMNO dude that much. If there is an instrumental version most def will get that.

Patrick said...

Yo Kev, you're my favorite producer/MC combo. I picked up the Selective Hearing Part 2 on vinyl a while back. The beats and lyricism are on point as always. I also just recently picked up the instrumentals for I Do What I Do on vinyl. Everything you put out is dope. Thanks for the for music man. I'm definitely going to keep collecting it..

Question:
Selective Hearing Part 2 never came out on CD did it?

Adam said...

I am definitely one of the biggest kev brown fans there is and I must admit I haven't really listened to this album. I also haven't really given the first one a good listen.

No disrespect intended; I'm just not feelin' LMNO that much. Not knocking his lyrics or anything (and some of his early ish with the beat junkies/visionaries was pretty dope), just not really feelin' his voice...especially for a whole album.

Peace & love from Seoul, South Korea... I'm gonna try and bring you out here one of these days.

Adam

Todd said...

Hey Kev keep doin your thing. I bought the album from itunes when it came out. It is a classic and it stays in the rotation just like all of your music does. I will continue to put your name out to all my peeps because they know I am a hip-hop head. I am 42 yrs old and you literally made me fall back in love with hip-hop when I heard "Say Something" on a DJ Food Stamp mix cd in 2004. HIP-HOP NEEDS YOU !!!!

MAGGZ said...

Peace kev. I just gotta let you know man. This is one of my favorite albums period. James Brown has got to be smiling down on you. I was really into the selective hearing pt.1 and was seriously waiting for pt. 2. I watched the fat beats l.a. vid you guys did live after the interview. I was hooked man. Thanks for all your inspiration. Ill still continue to spread the word of this record. God bless

DIRTY.DUNNZ said...

I was listening to this album today while working out at the gym. Really good album, but poor promotion. I wish I would've seen more interviews, more youtube presence, footage of the album being made, etc. I think all parties involved dropped the ball, artist and label.

SoundMastah said...

kev Brown thanks 4 yr honesty... i admit finding dope albums such as yours is almost impossible in Nigeria bcos people buy & order alot of wackness (g-unit,jay-z, rihanna, lil wayne, etc.).But thank God 4 da internet cos that's how i discovered your wonderful music (in 2005 with I Do What I Do)which is a CLASSIC!... i also got selective hearing album (favorite tracks-We Got This & The Cause) and selective hearing 2 (my favorite track is Good Gawd)which are all superb albums.
In all honesty, your style of music is a 'breath of fresh air' which provides 'relief' from all the wackness & mediocre albums which are unfortunately everywhere.May Almighty God continue to protect you and your family and provide you with wisdom and enable you to bless us with good sounds...

Vince said...

Slightly unrelated but I don't buy from iTunes, never have, never will. There is no need for a middleman in this digital age. Not even much need for a label unless you doing physicals. I'm not saying that "Every record label sucks dick", just that the concept needs to be updated and refined for this new era in music consumption.

I'm still sore that most of my favourite rap albums of the last few years haven't got a vinyl release. It doesn't hurt to put out a couple hundred records for the diehards, the DJs and the wax collectors, seeing as these joints are of particular relevance to us.

Anyway, mini-rant over, keep blessing us with the dope shit Kev.

Bing said...

Yo, Kev, I try to get my hands on and listen to everything you put out, but I never liked LMNO's rap style. I hate it on features too. The beats were tight on the album and your verse were cool, but I cant stand how he spits. It's like Ludacris. He could be spittin some dope stuff but that over emphasizes on his words kills me. Keep doing your thing. Imma check for the KAIMBR project.

Anonymous said...

I think you should sign with duck down records!

Anonymous said...

Dude your music is too good and you are a very talented artist. Will there ever come a day when the budget wont be low??

Anonymous said...

man i got the album and doubles of the vinyl EP, haha...always gotta support kev browwwnnn (a household name in my crib of 6:) it's dope--its definitely got *joints*, but really still not feeling it as much as the first one yet...i still got more listens to go though...random joints however, classssic ish (and of course "i do what i do")

B Lowe said...

Peace Kev,
Great work Here Brother. I really enjoyed the way you guys edited the video.

B.Lowe

Anonymous said...

duuuuuuude c'mon!! i know this joint by heart eversince it came out.
btw. i loved the show you did in mainz/germany with lmno for this album. keep the good work up!!
kragenoff

Kev Brown Merchandise...


Browse other personalized gifts from Zazzle.

videos...